Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Predatory Arthropod

Sixteen years ago when I started working at WDC we (the employees) would occasionally see a scorpion scamper by. Our employer insisted the building did not have the creepy arthropods. As the scorpion appearances became more regular, and in an effort to convince our employeer there were indeed scorpions in the building, we began to capture them and use packing tape to attach them to the calendar on the day they were apprehended. Some months there were as many as 15 scorpions captured. Some employees tried to sneak small spiders on the calendar, those employees received disciplinary action. Eventually it became a real sport and at our yearly holiday party there was a contest and the person who guessed closest (without going over) was awarded a lovely gift. The last few years have seen the pool and several scorpion infested trees disappear, causing a dramatic drop in the scorpion population. But yesterday as I was walking down the hall one of my little friends was stretched out relaxing in front of the bathroom door. I called for help from David (because I was ascared) and Scorpie now resides on the June 22, 2009 block of our calendar.
My you were a big boy!

2 comments:

About Me

My photo
Mesa,, AZ, United States