On our trip through New England we drove to Campobello Island in Canada located just off the Coast of Maine This is the island that FDR summered on each year before and during his presidency. There is not much in the way of places to stay or eat on this island. We chose this B & B as it seemed to be the best of what was available. When we arrived at the Owen House we were greeted by some of the largest mosquitoes I have ever encountered as well as an Innkeeper who was quite odd. She wore men's clothing and these enormous Harry Potter glasses. Her speech was robot like as showed us around. She mentioned that if we took long showers that we could expect to run out of water and that if we wanted breakfast we had better be downstairs by 8:30, no exceptions. The house had no TV, no Internet and no phone service. It felt like we had time traveled about 50 years into the past. Eddie liked the disconnection but surprisingly, I did not. (that was sarcasm for anyone who did not recognize it) The Innkeeper (Jan) also had a way of showing up out of nowhere. Each time I turned around she was standing behind me silently starring. After breakfast we decided to hike to a park with a lighthouse that could only be reached during low tide. We got to the entrance of the park and there she was, charging each of us $5.00 to enter the lighthouse. It was eerie.
The house was built in 1835 by the Owen Family. It appeared much nicer in pictures than it actually looked in person. We did enjoy all the interesting people we ate breakfast with in the morning and hiked with a father and son to the lighthouse. I casually mentioned to someone at the table that I felt like this place might be haunted. She replied "of course it is, it is 200 years old".
This was probably the most charming area of the house. Out this window was a view of the Bay of Fundy.
The furniture was old and worn and the bedrooms were interestingly decorated. This particular room had kitchen trivets hanging on the wall.
This piece of art was hanging on the wall of the same bedroom. Don't see wallpaper or art like that just everywhere.
This was the bedroom where we slept which looks fairly decent in this picture. But the house had been moved at some time and the floors in this room were like something in a fun house. Navigating around at night was an interesting experience. I had scary wallpaper nightmares all night long :-)

2 comments:
Loved this post. Was Jan related to Norman Bates?
Maybe because as I was leaving I did hear her say "I wouldn't even harm a fly..." "Are you sure you wouldn't like to stay just a little while longer?"
Post a Comment