In the 1950's midwestern dinners often consisted of something like tuna casarole and lima beans or hash and a wedge of lettuce with orange french dressing. We were required to sit at the table until our plates were clean, we all spent a lot of time at the dining room table. On the rare occasion we had company for dinner we would have something special like "Aspic". Sometimes it was tomato aspic and sometimes it was really "fancy" like the chicken aspic above. We were fed early in the kitchen where I usually remained long after the company had gone. I hated aspic, still do.Monday, May 4, 2009
Yum Yum
In the 1950's midwestern dinners often consisted of something like tuna casarole and lima beans or hash and a wedge of lettuce with orange french dressing. We were required to sit at the table until our plates were clean, we all spent a lot of time at the dining room table. On the rare occasion we had company for dinner we would have something special like "Aspic". Sometimes it was tomato aspic and sometimes it was really "fancy" like the chicken aspic above. We were fed early in the kitchen where I usually remained long after the company had gone. I hated aspic, still do.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh man, I am that one freak in a hundred who loves tomato aspic. I had some last week at someone's house and it was exquisite. Not sure I'd want to sample that concoction in your picture though. I actually never had tomato aspic until about 20 years ago. I made some awhile back and Becky said it was just like jellied ketchup. No one else would even taste it.
You are one freak in a hundred Debbie! My mom and I are 2 and 3 so come see me soon.
That looks like the jello mold in Christmas Vacation. Glad my mom never made that. Although I do have to admit to loving the perfection salad that my grandma made every Thanksgiving. Green jello with veggies. Yum yum.
Post a Comment